Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Eggs, eggs and more eggs!

 My egg skelter started off with just a few eggs and I wondered if it would ever fill up.

Then the chickens started going crazy laying a ton of eggs each day. I get over 15 eggs a day and sometimes 19! They are egg laying machines now! I love the variety of colors I get in the nest boxes now. It makes collecting eggs so much fun!

One problem with so many layers in the hen house is fighting over the nest boxes. All the reading material says that 1 nest box per 5 hens is a good amount. Apparently my chickens do not agree with this . If you look closely, there are 4 chickens in the 4 boxes and 3 outside the boxes waiting for their turn. I do have 22 chickens, so I guess if you do the math I should add one more box in there, but it seems they'd like 4 more boxes instead. At least they are laying in the nest boxes and not on the floor.

Here is my egg skelter slowly filling up a few weeks ago.

 Here it is completely full. We fill it completely every other day now. Now I have to wash eggs every other day too and fill up egg cartons.



I even made labels for the cartons too. We've been giving them to friends, neighbors and family members. So many eggs!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment